Sunday, February 21, 2010

Biblical Tom Swifties

In case you don't know what a Tom Swifty is, here is a definition:

Definition: a play on words consisting of a made-up quotation followed by a punning adverb.
Example: "I know who turned off the lights," Tom hinted darkly - is an example of a Tom Swifty.

Here are some biblical Tom Swifties:

* “She is bone of my bone,” said Adam disjointedly.

* “I have sinned,” said Adam originally.

* “I was afraid because I was naked,” said Adam embarrassedly.

* “We can use these leaves to make aprons,” said Eve figuratively.

* “What are you doing with the razor?” Samson asked baldly.

* “But Jacob has stolen my blessing,” wailed Esau plaintively.

And a few odds and ends:

* “Someone took my needle!” she said pointedly.

* “Oh no! I dropped my toothpaste!” he said crestfallen.

* “I got this cold after Mildred died,” the pastor croaked.

* “We buried her yesterday,” he added gravely.

Do a internet search and you can find hundreds.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment